Stockport County Forum - Christmas University Challenge
Vital Football

Latest Stockport County News

Stockport County Football Club News

Vital Football on FacebookVital Football on TwitterVital Football via RSS Feed
Not logged in.
( Login | register | forgotten password )
Current Poll (see more polls)
This season will finish with..
Suggested By: Cropped
Automatic Promotion4%
A play-off position39%
Top half missing play-offs43%
Bottom half7%
Relegation7%
The Vital Football Members League
Vital Members League Table
RankNamePoints
1.cropped4
2.LGC4
3.Mazarron Albert1
Vital Football Comment
Breaking League News
Jump to forum:
Christmas University Challenge
01 January 2016 11:32 Post ID: #9360
Chairman
Happy New Year.
Did anyone see the above programme last night as there was a question on famous people from Stockport. The answers were Charles 1 (Famous person was John Bradshaw); Cobden and Christopher Isherwood.

Edited by LGC 1/1/2016 11:33
Like post
Like this post
Top of the page Bottom of the page
04 January 2016 17:34 Post ID: #9363 - in reply to #9360
Chairman
Hi LGC - I am getting through these on catchup. Onto the third one (Manchester v UEA) and I think the Manchester chap who was the 'internet of things' guru and high up in IBM is an Old Stop (Stockport Grammar).

Any positive mention of Stockport on national media should be welcomed !
Like post
Like this post
04 January 2016 17:57 Post ID: #9364 - in reply to #9363
Chairman
Saw John Bradshaw's hat in the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford a few years ago. It was "armoured" as he was in fear of his assassination. Think King Charles 2 had him done away with after the Restoration. Head on spike on London Bridge type of thing!
I'm an old boy of Mile End.
Like post
Like this post
05 January 2016 10:41 Post ID: #9365 - in reply to #9360
Chairman
Mile End - just over the road from SGS. Not a native in Stockport unilt 22 years old but the nearest senior school to me is Preistnall. Always thought that schools in Stockport are reasonable and above the national average though the powrs that be have knocked down Peel Moat (new housing going up now) and yet Preistnall is bursting at the seams.

Not been to thre Hat Museum in Stockport yet and I am also ashamed to say I have not been to the Air Riad Shelters which are meant to be very good.

End of Year report for me C- must do better!
Like post
Like this post
05 January 2016 15:56 Post ID: #9366 - in reply to #9365
Chairman
Went to The Hat Museum about 7 years ago when we were in Stockport visiting my late mother-in-law and found it very interesting. Not done the Air Raid shelters but when I was a little boy (and I'm 70 this August) a neighbour of ours recalled being in there during the War and said it smelt of bears. It is said they used to keep the bears in there before baiting them. The bear pits were in Mersey Square, that open area near the bus station.
Like post
Like this post
Pages (1):
Jump to forum: